So, I'm taking a deep breath here and venturing into the blog world. Many of my friends have encouraged me to do this over the years. All the while, I was thinking about it, too. And so here I am.
I figured what better way to start than with this?
I had the pleasure of meeting Mama Kat at Bloggy Boot Camp earlier this year. She sat at my table at lunch time and made me feel welcome in a sea of bloggers when I was blogless. I remember her talking about these posts she does, to encourage people to write. My ears perked up. I'm a writer. I'm lucky enough to be a paid journalist. I thought Kat's Writer's Workshops would be a fun way to keep me writing outside of the work I do, which sometimes is a lot more on the editing side of things.
And then I saw the prompts today and thought well, this was meant to be. The question asked if you had to make a career out of whatever you were passionate about at the age of 10, what would it be?
I get to do it every day. I write. Features. News. Columns. When I was 10 I filled notebooks with stories I made up. I wrote about monsters and fairies and all sorts of things I could dream up. A few years later -- I don't remember the exact age -- I interviewed my neighbors as i pretended to be a journalist. A few years later, I did a mock up of my own newspaper in a journalism class. My paper was called The Inside Scoop.
It was in 7th grade that my English teacher told me she thought that some day, some day far away as an adult, I would get paid for my words. It has all come true. I'm not at a big city daily. I don't think you will see "Pulitzer Prize winner" precede my name in my obituary. I've worked in small towns writing about peach festivals and school board meetings. But what I did at 10, I am able to still do. And these days, in the business of journalism, it is a blessing to be able to say that. Thanks for the reminder, Writer's Workshop.

That is so wonderful, I am so happy that your dreams came true. I am also glad that you started blogging, looking forward to reading more!
ReplyDeleteFollowing you from Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop!~Lisa
I am all a twitter about life
Aww Lisa, thank you!! I should send you a prize for being my first-ever comment!! Seriously i feel like baking you up a batch of cookies and getting them out in the mail!
ReplyDeleteOh and you are my first follower, too?! Make that two dozen cookies!!
ReplyDeleteYay for blogging! I'm so glad you just jumped in with both feet. It should be a piece of cake for someone with your background in writing. :) I love that you made a career out of something you were passionate about as a child!!
ReplyDeleteThat is so wonderful that you are doing what you have loved since childhood! Am I jealous? YES. Am I following you anyway YES! Welcome to the blogging world. Enjoy
ReplyDeleteYea! Welcome to the blogging world! I hope you stick around for awhile!
ReplyDeleteIt must be great to get a paid writing job as your career. Thanks for dropping by.
ReplyDeleteI think for some of us, we just know when we are young and it sticks. How lucky you were to be able to follow your dreams. Thanks for coming by 504 Main last week. I am a new follower here too!
ReplyDelete